Sunday 20 July 2014

Top Summer Reads!








These are some amazing, varied and cleverly written summer books. They are not written in order as I recommend them all as they all vary in genres. All contain different concoctions of love, hate, mystery, secrecy, humour and general brilliance. ALL are MUST reads. I also have recommendations of many series and other books, however I will do them in another post showing my top series to read.


1. Husband's Secret by Liane Moriaty
Husbands Secret is about a women - Cecilia Fitzpatrick - who is successful, a great mother and a great wife. Until she discovers one day her husband wrote a letter for her containing a deep secret. It is this day that her life begins to get interesting.
This is a great book for a summer read as it contains mystery within it but also details how that even the most perfect family can have its problems. It is an amazing book and, with the hint of mystery, makes for an entertaining, relaxing and interesting read (perfect for summer)!



2. Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher
Zoe has a secret! A secret of which she can only share to a criminal on death row by sending him letters. Through these letters, similar to that of diary entries, you learn about her past; her love and her secret. 
In my summary I didn't want to give anything away, but trust me it's a great read. It may seem that I have an obsession with secrets due to my first recommendation also being about secrecy but, though both contain a secret, this is more about a teenager dealing with growing up and making right choices. It is a read of romance, adolescence and a spurs the reader to read more and more. Hence it would be a great read for summer.

3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Cath and Wren are twins, who have been through a lot together: from family problems to being obsessive Simon Snow fans. However Wren, the feistier of the two, wants to become more individual. So when they both go college Cath is left alone. Can she do it? Whilst being in college Cath deals with more family problems, reluctantly makes friends and begins to fall in love. All of this whilst writing fan fiction.
So, fangirl is a brilliant summer read and unlike the other recommendations it is more of a rom-com. I have read it recently and couldn't put it down so you should definitely recommend it.

4. Stolen: A Letter to my Captor  by Lucy Christopher 
Gemma has been stolen. She is taken from the airport into the Australian outback by Ty. Ty is unlike stereotypical captors, being incredibly handsome and quite charming. But why her? And can she be forced into loving him back? We find out in the letter from Gemma to Ty!
Stolen is a slightly darker read than the previous recommendations making it an interesting and surprising summer read. It contains obsession, danger and adventure all in the realistically described outback. It is utterly amazingly written and has secrets (yep more secrets) being unveiled on the way. Definitely read this - I couldn't put down!


5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Amy Dunne has disappeared. She disappeared on her fifth wedding anniversary, leaving husband Nick to deal with the consequences. With weird telephone calls, clues and an incriminating Amy's diary - could Nick be her killer?
Admittedly this is a darker book than the others however of all of them it is the most brilliant. I have lent this to so many people. As I said to them - it is a book which really gets you to think, it is a definite mystery book and, refreshingly, you end up HATING every character. However there is a warning - it is for older readers but also I found it took my around 100 pages to get into it but it ends up with  pure brilliance, making you want to re-read it again. It is seriously an incredible book and it is a different kind of summer read that I completely recommend! It is SOOO good that it is being made into a film in Autumn, meaning you should read it in the Summer in time for the film, if for no other reason. Here is the trailer below:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=esGn-xKFZdU

My Summer Reads

This summer I have read Picture Perfect by Holly Smale. This isn't my usual type of book, I like mystery, thriller and dystopian normally, however I loved the series. The first two I read at age 14/15  and the main character was also 15 which was perfect. Now I read this at 16 the main character 'Harriet', was also 16 therefore I enjoy the book as I can relate to parts of it, for instance finding GCSE results and beginning Sixth Form. This was a great summer read as it slightly prepared me for finding my results this August!




I have also made it my mission to read all the Harry Potter books this summer and I am currently on book 5 which is the Order of the Phoenix by J.K.Rowling. I have never read them before, which may come as a shock as a book lover, but I never used to be into books when they came out but now I am loving them. I am then hoping to have a movie marathon, of which I haven't watched yet either (I know disappointing) before I go back for Sixth Form.

In addition, I am considering doing English Literature as an A-Level. We have been given some summer reading to do, then book reviews. So I will be posting them on here aswell!

Hope your well

Sam x

Follow or add me at goodreads
You can also follow my instagram

2 comments:

  1. This is a great collection of books. Thank you for recommending it. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete